Online Industry News Digest: December 2023
- by Ilona K.
Table of contents
Keen to be the first to know online industry news to supercharge your website growth? Explore new trends, platform features and opportunities to use in your online strategy with our December 2023 digest.
Google changes the way it displays search results
Aiming to provide users with a more tailored search experience, Google has introduced a few updates to the way it displays search results. Key changes:
- Option to follow search results related to a specific topic (e.g. ‘half-marathon training’) and get updates when new relevant information appears.
- Prioritising the websites that a specific user frequently visits in their search results.
- Option to choose to exclusively see content from people on social media platforms, forums and other communities.
- Notes – a new feature allowing users to share tips and advice about web content directly on search.
Why should you care? As Google continues to roll out generative search experience and new features to its search results, it’s important to stay on top and adjust your SEO and content marketing strategy. Rich in-depth content on your website, making your brand an expert voice on the topic, collaborations with social media influencers and a focus on user retention can future-proof your website growth.
Source: Google blog
New ways to create content on Instagram
Ahead of the holiday season when users typically spend more time consuming social media content, Instagram has shared updates for content creators covering reels, feed photos, carousels and stories, as well as new insights options. Key changes:
- Undo and redo features making it easier to edit individual clips
- Option to make new memes by adding clips with audio to your reels from the platform’s new media clip hub
- 10 new text-to-speech voices and updated fonts and text styles
- Option to turn a part of any photo into a custom sticker
- New photo filters that let you explore moods for your photos and carousels
- Deeper insights like the addition of Replays and a new retention chart
Why should you care? A prominent presence on Instagram is a must-have for any brand. Try new features to stand out from the competition, draw user attention to your brand with diverse content and see how many people are watching your Reel on a moment-by-moment basis with an interactive Retention Chart.
Microsoft unveils new study showing the business value of AI
Helping businesses navigate through the opportunities of AI, Microsoft and IDC have unveiled a new study on how AI is being used to drive economic impact for organizations. Key insights:
- 71% of respondents say their companies are already using AI
- 92% of AI deployments are taking 12 months or less
- A return on AI investments shows within 14 months on average
- Every $1 a company invests in AI generates an average return of $3.5X
- 52% report that a lack of skills is preventing them from wider implementation and scaling A.
Why should you care? If your business is yet to jump on the AI bandwagon, this is a strong signal to prioritise AI solutions for your business in 2024. In order to efficiently adopt AI to supercharge your business growth, ensure your staff gets sufficient training and follow our updates on the useful AI tools.
Black Friday online sales generated a record $9.8B in the US
TechCrunch has posted a summary of Black Friday online sales which were up and reached a record high, despite the cost of living crisis. Key insights:
- Online buying has hit a record high of $9.8B in the U.S. on Black Friday – up 7.5% from the previous year, shows data from Adobe Analytics.
- Globally, the sales generated $70.9B, with a record 79% of all shopping traffic coming from mobile devices, according to Salesforce.
- Deep discounts and an increasing number of flexible payment options were the key growth drivers. BNPL (buy now, pay later) orders were up by 72% during the week going into Black Friday vs previous year.
- Consumers are more often opting for cheaper ‘standard’ shipping.
Why should you care? If you are selling goods online, this is a promising indicator that online platforms are well-positioned for the pre-holiday shopping season. However, be mindful of the latest consumer preferences and ensure you’re offering lucrative discounts, flexible payment and shipping options, as well as a great experience on mobile.
TikTok launches Add to Music app to drive music consumption on streaming services
TikTok has announced Add to Music App, a new feature allowing music fans to save the songs they discover on TikTok on the music streaming services of their choice. Add to Music App is launching for users in the US and UK in partnership with the major music streaming services, including Amazon Music and Spotify.
Why should you care? TikTok has established itself a go-to place for the online trends. Adding music to your posts ensures the users get a rich experience – and the latest addition shows the platform’s commitment to respect music creators.
Want more insights into online industry developments? Visit it.com Domains’ blog and follow us on social media.